Sunday, December 23, 2012

More Clearing Of The Design Wall

I made this orphan block when I was experimenting with my technique to keep my quarter log cabin block from going worked, but I was left with this cute little stray. It and the other little pads are so darn cute, I don't have the heart to use them as true potholders yet.


I made this one (not so cute and also from the wonky charm square block experiment) and didn't bind it.

This one is used as a potholder and the others as mug (o'soup) rugs...with the backside flipped up when the mug of soup goes on.

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Christmas Decorama

Finally got all the frames filled with Christmas themed blocks...I see now I should have continued with the star theme...there's always next year.

Friday, December 21, 2012

My Take On Rolo Candy Treat

I thought I would try using little butter cookies as the base instead of pretzels. These are cheapo butter cookies from Wally World and to be honest...they make them just a little too sweet. So I bought a package of Lorna Doones (which cost 4 times as much) and of course, they were much better...less sweet.

For my next mini batch, I think I'll get some salted pecans to try on's missing that little salt kick from the pretzels. I wish the square woven pretzels were a bit bigger...maybe I only saw the mini ones.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Redneck Wine Glasses

Saturday evening, Sweetie and I went to friends house to play cards, munch on finger food and sip wine.

The hostess made these for addition to the gift tags, each one had a different colored marble in the base to help you keep track of you glass.

Monday, December 10, 2012

Binding Clip Practice

I wanted to work on my technique to completely machine sew my bindings...and I needed some new pot holder! These are a couple of orphan blocks that were hanging on the design wall that I layered with Insulbrite (sp?) and quilted.

I did the potholder on the right first, using a 2.5" strip and did a mitered joining. On the left, I used a 2" strip and tried a different technique (due to a mistake) to finish the binding. As you can see it wasn't a success. I would use the 2" strip again (or maybe 2 1/4"), but would miter. The experimental technique was just too bulky to neatly sew over.

My technique still needs some work, but I'm liking it so far. If it's not going to be judged...why's so much faster than hand finishing.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Quild Donation Quilt

Finally finished this donation's been aging in the shop for a while.  It's just pre-printed fabric that I used my machines wabble stitch around the squares and then used my new binding clips to machine bind it totally.  Amazon had a great deal on the clips (the new red and clear ones...brand escapes me right now)...50 of them for $16 something.Posted by Picasa