Translate

Thursday, July 22, 2010

First Attempt At Applique


This is part of the border on a quilt that the guild is donating to the Southeast Textile and Quilt Museum that will be in Carrolton, Georgia. The museum is slated to open some time in 2011. All the quilts that are being donated by guilds and individuals will hang in Georgia's capital building early next year and then will be displayed at the museum. After a period of time they will then be auctioned off to raise money for the museum.

So this is my first try at applique and I used the freezer paper and starch method to do the leave, flower and center of the flower. I think it turned out fairly well.

I had started with the stems and leaves a while back, but had set it aside because I've been having a problem with my left shoulder for sometime now. Doing the applique really aggravates my shoulder even though my left is just my holding hand. Time was a wasting though, so I had to get back on it. I tried doing it with a pillow tucked under my arm, but that really didn't seem to help.

Today my shoulder/arm aches and I finally bit the bullet and called the Dr. for an appointment. Amazingly, they had an opening this afternoon at 3:30. I'll see if he can check for arthritis or any other type of "itis" associated with getting old. I'll also have him check to see if Max might have further aggravated my shoulder when she yanked me off the front porch a few weeks ago and I landed on my left shoulder.

2 comments:

  1. Great looking applique!

    In response to your question on my blog today (I don't have your email or would have responded that way) - the waterfalls are on our property here in Gilmer county - but we let anyone that wants to hike to see them. You can drive to within 2/10 mile and walk the rest of the way, let me know if you want directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job with the applique--especially for a first attempt. Hope the doc finds nothing serious with the shoulder.

    ReplyDelete